Stephen Colbert clashes with CBS after blocked interview sparks FCC equal time controversy
TOI GLOBAL DESK | TOI GLOBAL | Feb 19, 2026, 04:42 IST
Stephen Colbert publicly criticized CBS after the network blocked his interview with Texas Democratic Senate candidate James Talarico from airing on “The Late Show,” citing concerns about the FCC’s equal time rule. Instead of broadcasting the segment, Colbert uploaded the full interview to YouTube, where it quickly surpassed five million views. CBS said it merely offered legal guidance about potential risks. Still, Colbert questioned why the network acted before any official rule changes were made, noting that FCC Chairman Brendan Carr had only discussed possible revisions. While Colbert said he did not want an adversarial relationship with CBS, he openly mocked the company’s response on air. The controversy comes as CBS, owned by Paramount Global, prepares to end “The Late Show” in May for financial reasons, though some critics suspect political factors. Meanwhile, Talarico’s campaign reported raising $2.5 million within 24 hours, benefiting from the heightened publicity surrounding the dispute.
Stephen Colbert is not staying quiet after a tense clash with CBS over what he was allowed to air on his late-night show. On Tuesday night’s episode of “The Late Show,” Colbert addressed the network’s decision to block his interview with Texas Democratic Senate candidate James Talarico from being broadcast.
Colbert said he had been told the interview could raise concerns under the Federal Communications Commission’s “equal time” rule. That rule requires broadcasters to give similar opportunities to opposing candidates. Instead of airing the segment on CBS, he uploaded the full interview to YouTube, where it quickly crossed five million views by Wednesday morning.
CBS later released a statement saying Colbert had only been given legal guidance about the risks. Colbert pushed back on that claim during his show. He even made fun of the network’s statement on air and questioned why the company would act before any rule had actually changed. FCC Chairman Brendan Carr had spoken earlier this year about possibly removing the exemption for late-night shows, but no official change has been made.
“I don’t know what this is about,” Colbert said. “For the record, I’m not even mad. I really don’t want an adversarial relationship with the network. I’ve never had one.”
CBS is owned by Paramount Global. The network had already announced last summer that “The Late Show” will end in May, saying the decision was based on financial reasons. Some critics, including Colbert, have wondered if politics played a role, since former President Donald Trump has often criticized the show.
The controversy also gave Talarico a boost. His campaign reported raising $2.5 million within 24 hours after the interview was posted online. Colbert said he was surprised that such a large media company would not push back harder.
“I’m just so surprised that this giant global corporation would not stand up to these bullies,” he said.
The dispute has added another dramatic chapter to Colbert’s final months at CBS, as his show prepares to come to an end this spring.
Stephen Colbert is not staying quiet after a tense clash with CBS over what he was allowed to air on his late-night show. On Tuesday night’s episode of “The Late Show,” Colbert addressed the network’s decision to block his interview with Texas Democratic Senate candidate James Talarico from being broadcast.
Colbert said he had been told the interview could raise concerns under the Federal Communications Commission’s “equal time” rule. That rule requires broadcasters to give similar opportunities to opposing candidates. Instead of airing the segment on CBS, he uploaded the full interview to YouTube, where it quickly crossed five million views by Wednesday morning.
CBS later released a statement saying Colbert had only been given legal guidance about the risks. Colbert pushed back on that claim during his show. He even made fun of the network’s statement on air and questioned why the company would act before any rule had actually changed. FCC Chairman Brendan Carr had spoken earlier this year about possibly removing the exemption for late-night shows, but no official change has been made.
“I don’t know what this is about,” Colbert said. “For the record, I’m not even mad. I really don’t want an adversarial relationship with the network. I’ve never had one.”
CBS is owned by Paramount Global. The network had already announced last summer that “The Late Show” will end in May, saying the decision was based on financial reasons. Some critics, including Colbert, have wondered if politics played a role, since former President Donald Trump has often criticized the show.
The controversy also gave Talarico a boost. His campaign reported raising $2.5 million within 24 hours after the interview was posted online. Colbert said he was surprised that such a large media company would not push back harder.
“I’m just so surprised that this giant global corporation would not stand up to these bullies,” he said.
The dispute has added another dramatic chapter to Colbert’s final months at CBS, as his show prepares to come to an end this spring.
Colbert said he had been told the interview could raise concerns under the Federal Communications Commission’s “equal time” rule. That rule requires broadcasters to give similar opportunities to opposing candidates. Instead of airing the segment on CBS, he uploaded the full interview to YouTube, where it quickly crossed five million views by Wednesday morning.
CBS later released a statement saying Colbert had only been given legal guidance about the risks. Colbert pushed back on that claim during his show. He even made fun of the network’s statement on air and questioned why the company would act before any rule had actually changed. FCC Chairman Brendan Carr had spoken earlier this year about possibly removing the exemption for late-night shows, but no official change has been made.
“I don’t know what this is about,” Colbert said. “For the record, I’m not even mad. I really don’t want an adversarial relationship with the network. I’ve never had one.”
CBS is owned by Paramount Global. The network had already announced last summer that “The Late Show” will end in May, saying the decision was based on financial reasons. Some critics, including Colbert, have wondered if politics played a role, since former President Donald Trump has often criticized the show.
The controversy also gave Talarico a boost. His campaign reported raising $2.5 million within 24 hours after the interview was posted online. Colbert said he was surprised that such a large media company would not push back harder.
“I’m just so surprised that this giant global corporation would not stand up to these bullies,” he said.
The dispute has added another dramatic chapter to Colbert’s final months at CBS, as his show prepares to come to an end this spring.
Stephen Colbert is not staying quiet after a tense clash with CBS over what he was allowed to air on his late-night show. On Tuesday night’s episode of “The Late Show,” Colbert addressed the network’s decision to block his interview with Texas Democratic Senate candidate James Talarico from being broadcast.
Colbert said he had been told the interview could raise concerns under the Federal Communications Commission’s “equal time” rule. That rule requires broadcasters to give similar opportunities to opposing candidates. Instead of airing the segment on CBS, he uploaded the full interview to YouTube, where it quickly crossed five million views by Wednesday morning.
CBS later released a statement saying Colbert had only been given legal guidance about the risks. Colbert pushed back on that claim during his show. He even made fun of the network’s statement on air and questioned why the company would act before any rule had actually changed. FCC Chairman Brendan Carr had spoken earlier this year about possibly removing the exemption for late-night shows, but no official change has been made.
“I don’t know what this is about,” Colbert said. “For the record, I’m not even mad. I really don’t want an adversarial relationship with the network. I’ve never had one.”
CBS is owned by Paramount Global. The network had already announced last summer that “The Late Show” will end in May, saying the decision was based on financial reasons. Some critics, including Colbert, have wondered if politics played a role, since former President Donald Trump has often criticized the show.
The controversy also gave Talarico a boost. His campaign reported raising $2.5 million within 24 hours after the interview was posted online. Colbert said he was surprised that such a large media company would not push back harder.
“I’m just so surprised that this giant global corporation would not stand up to these bullies,” he said.
The dispute has added another dramatic chapter to Colbert’s final months at CBS, as his show prepares to come to an end this spring.