Eight Senate Democrats break from party to end shutdown after weeks of stalled talks
TOI GLOBAL DESK | TOI GLOBAL | Nov 11, 2025, 19:21 IST
These 8 senators broke with Democrats on the government shutdown deal. Here's how they explain it
( Image credit : AP )
Eight Senate Democrats joined Republicans to advance a vote to end the 40-day government shutdown, citing harm to families, federal workers, and programs like SNAP. Senators Tim Kaine, Jeanne Shaheen, and Richard J. Durbin said their party’s strategy was not working and the shutdown had gone on too long. The deal could restore funding through next September. Lawmakers emphasized back pay for workers and quick reopening of federal services.
The government shutdown that has stretched more than 40 days may finally move toward an end, after eight Senate Democrats crossed party lines on Sunday night to help advance a vote to reopen federal operations.
These eight lawmakers said that the shutdown had gone on for too long and was causing real harm to people who rely on federal programs like SNAP food benefits, as well as to workers who have gone weeks without pay.
Sen. Tim Kaine of Virginia said the decision came after realizing the strategy his party was using was not leading to progress. “After 40 days, it wasn’t going to work,” Kaine said. His state includes many federal employees who have been directly affected.
Among the eight were Sen. Jeanne Shaheen of New Hampshire who helped negotiate the bipartisan deal to end the stalemate and the No. 2 Democrat in the Senate. Sen. Richard J. Durbin of Illinois. Both are retiring after this term and said ending the shutdown was necessary to protect families and workers who were stuck in the middle of political pressure.
For weeks, Democrats had held out for a deal to extend enhanced Affordable Care Act subsidies, which help lower monthly health insurance costs for millions of Americans. Republicans, including President Donald Trump, opposed approving those subsidies while the government was shut down.
Sen. John Fetterman of Pennsylvania had already been voting to reopen the government from the beginning. He apologized on social media to families who had lost access to food assistance and to workers who had not been paid, saying, “It should’ve never come to this. This was a failure.”
Sen. Angus S. King Jr. of Maine, who caucuses with Democrats, said the deal now has a better chance of passing than before. According to Angus S. King Jr., the odds of reaching a compromise went from zero to around fifty percent now that the shutdown may end.
If the Senate follows through and the spending measures pass, programs like SNAP will be funded again through at least next September. The temporary lapse in November forced many low-income families to turn to food banks. Some food banks reported long lines similar to the early pandemic.
Senators who voted to move forward said their priority now is making sure workers get full back pay and that the impacted federal employees are recalled as soon as possible.
The final vote to fully reopen the government is expected soon.
These eight lawmakers said that the shutdown had gone on for too long and was causing real harm to people who rely on federal programs like SNAP food benefits, as well as to workers who have gone weeks without pay.
Sen. Tim Kaine of Virginia said the decision came after realizing the strategy his party was using was not leading to progress. “After 40 days, it wasn’t going to work,” Kaine said. His state includes many federal employees who have been directly affected.
Among the eight were Sen. Jeanne Shaheen of New Hampshire who helped negotiate the bipartisan deal to end the stalemate and the No. 2 Democrat in the Senate. Sen. Richard J. Durbin of Illinois. Both are retiring after this term and said ending the shutdown was necessary to protect families and workers who were stuck in the middle of political pressure.
For weeks, Democrats had held out for a deal to extend enhanced Affordable Care Act subsidies, which help lower monthly health insurance costs for millions of Americans. Republicans, including President Donald Trump, opposed approving those subsidies while the government was shut down.
Sen. John Fetterman of Pennsylvania had already been voting to reopen the government from the beginning. He apologized on social media to families who had lost access to food assistance and to workers who had not been paid, saying, “It should’ve never come to this. This was a failure.”
Sen. Angus S. King Jr. of Maine, who caucuses with Democrats, said the deal now has a better chance of passing than before. According to Angus S. King Jr., the odds of reaching a compromise went from zero to around fifty percent now that the shutdown may end.
If the Senate follows through and the spending measures pass, programs like SNAP will be funded again through at least next September. The temporary lapse in November forced many low-income families to turn to food banks. Some food banks reported long lines similar to the early pandemic.
Senators who voted to move forward said their priority now is making sure workers get full back pay and that the impacted federal employees are recalled as soon as possible.
The final vote to fully reopen the government is expected soon.