Justice Department Set to Seek Indictment of John Bolton Over Classified Documents

TOI GLOBAL DESK | TOI GLOBAL NEW | Oct 16, 2025, 21:50 IST
Grand jury to hear case against man accused of setting Virginia city councilman on fire over affair
Former White House national security adviser John Bolton is scheduled to appear before a federal grand jury in Maryland amid an investigation into his handling of classified documents during the Trump administration. The inquiry focuses on sensitive material, including notes stored in an AOL email account, and several documents seized by the FBI from his Maryland home and D.C. office this summer. Legal analysts warn that a possible indictment could carry severe consequences, including fines and jail time. Bolton’s appearance marks a major escalation in the high-profile case, which highlights the legal and ethical responsibilities of senior officials in handling national security information.
Former White House national security adviser John Bolton is to appear before a federal grand jury in Maryland on Thursday as the Justice Department prepares to seek an indictment over the mishandling of classified information while working under President Donald Trump, according to multiple sources. The grand jury request is imminent, marking a significant escalation of the high-profile case.

Bolton, who was the country's principal security adviser between 2018 and 2019, has faced inquiry over his management of highly classified government files. Sources close to the inquiry said the investigation partly concerns notes and summaries Bolton kept in an AOL email account, which on occasion included diary-like entries documenting his activity and work in the Trump administration.

The FBI searched Bolton's Maryland home and Washington, D.C., office this summer under a warrant and took several documents with the designations "secret, confidential, and classified," including information on weapons of mass destruction and other sensitive national security issues, court documents state. The seizures have provoked serious legal concerns as to whether Bolton inappropriately took and withheld sensitive material without approval.

Legal analysts indicate the possible indictment would have severe consequences, such as fines and jail time, if the Department of Justice establishes that Bolton knowingly mishandled classified material. Federal prosecutors have traditionally pursued cases of national security violations and unauthorized retention of classified documents with extreme gravity, prioritizing security and precedent.

The move comes in the context of continued controversy regarding document security during previous governments, which underscores the intricate legal and ethical obligations of high-ranking national security officials. The fact that Bolton was a former adviser means the case will receive maximum public attention and likely shape debates regarding how classified information is treated by government officials.

Spokespeople for Bolton have said nothing publicly on the expected grand jury proceedings, but Bolton has said before that his management of classified documents had been within the bounds of the law. The next few days will tell if the grand jury believes there's enough evidence to formally charge him.

Follow us
    Contact
    • Noida
    • toiglobal.desk@timesinternet.in

    Copyright © 2025 Times Internet Limited